
Inside those bags that this kid carries, are plastic bottles of mineral water, juice/soda. A young boy approached me and asked if I could give him my drink. He doesn't want the iced tea that I was having, as he was just after the container. This seven year old boy was the one who works for his family. (I was thinking...Where are his parents?!) I felt sad that at a very young age, he has to work already. I asked him why isn't he playing or studying. The boy answered me, "Wala kami kakainin mamya e..." (We have nothing to eat later.) He sells them to a junkshop who pays forty pesos per kilo of those plastic bottles. Imagine how many empty plastic containers he has to gather...
Most kids of his age worries what next toy to buy, go into tantrums if they don't get what they want, who could eat at Jollibee fastfood anytime of the day while some only dreams of eating there on their birthdays...(that is if they're lucky enough to have the money) Life is so unfair....for these kids. After this encounter, I learned to appreciate more my parents, for giving me a comfortable life and a bright future. Learn to be happy on simple things...
1 comment:
It's sad to see so many children in the streets. Poverty is a harsh reality and we should really be thankful for all the good things we have. Others aren't so lucky as we are.
Post a Comment