
It has been more than 2 weeks since the disastrous typhoons hit our country, and they have long gone our vicinity. Though the sad aftermaths are still felt by some of our fellowmen. I can still remember how I told my older sister to try to walk through the flood since they're just a few blocks away from their house. They attended an activity at my niece's school that morning and was advised to go home as the flood was closing the highway. They followed my advise, parked their car in a gas station, carried some of their bags and 2 kids and went through the waist-high flood. Thankfully, they all got home safe.
Last Thursday, I learned from a friend, that her cousin was diagnosed with Leptospirosis. She had to swim through the flood in Manila. The symptoms didn't led quickly to the disease. A week before she first experienced diarrhea, fever, some flu-like symptoms that eventually led to weakness, fatigue, decrease in appetite and absence of any urine output. She was in severe stage of the disease and underwent an emergency dialysis, since they said it was the only cure for it. She would need at least 3 sessions and see if there would be an improvement.
After hearing this story, I felt alarmed that yes, we would all consider swimming the floods just to stay alive. But then again, even after the storm has long gone, its effects are still felt.
For more info regarding Leptospirosis, please read on here: RATS
No comments:
Post a Comment