It was only when I worked in a hospital with a Cancer Institute, that increasing prevalence of such illness came true to me. I have seen patients come in with just a simple complaint of cough only realizing after several tests that they got more than a cough syrup could cure. I have seen families still in false hopes, denials that their loved one is not seriously sick, blaming the technology, the MDs, or even a simple nurse like me why such pain is being felt. Ironically, based from my exposure, I have had about 7 out of 10 patients diagnosed with lung cancer who are not even smokers to start with. I got asked by one young lung cancer patient, if I smoke and answered him "no, sir." He advised me to smoke, as it won't make a difference anyway. I felt the bitterness in his voice and I could only put a meek smile and answer with silence for I knew it how hard it could have been for him. He was still young, newly wed and had a young daughter that he felt he had so little time to spend with. I am well aware that I should not get involved emotionally to my patients as I know it would hinder my judgement. But in such cases, I could not help but feel sadness, and it is through these instances that I feel thankful for everything I have even for what I do not have.
I have experienced handling three toxic cancer patients, all holding on for dear life, or their families seemed to be doing it for them. I was summoned every minute or two (no exageration), by each one of them and even came to a point that relatives all looked out from their rooms calling for me, shouting for help as fear of nearing death could be seen from their eyes. I feel for them all and tried my best to provide the care that they needed.
The illness has brought so much realizations and maturity to me that have somehow helped me go through now. I have learned to cherish each moment and each day. It has given me a significant lesson that I have never learned in my years of studying. We may memorize all the theories, studies, dates and formulas but what will always matter during these times and how we could cope with the emotions that the patient and his loved ones are experiencing. Respect, love and understanding.
I have experienced handling three toxic cancer patients, all holding on for dear life, or their families seemed to be doing it for them. I was summoned every minute or two (no exageration), by each one of them and even came to a point that relatives all looked out from their rooms calling for me, shouting for help as fear of nearing death could be seen from their eyes. I feel for them all and tried my best to provide the care that they needed.
The illness has brought so much realizations and maturity to me that have somehow helped me go through now. I have learned to cherish each moment and each day. It has given me a significant lesson that I have never learned in my years of studying. We may memorize all the theories, studies, dates and formulas but what will always matter during these times and how we could cope with the emotions that the patient and his loved ones are experiencing. Respect, love and understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment